Wednesday 25 May 2016

Review: The Martian

The Martian The Martian by Andy Weir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Put simply, this book is just brilliant writing and sharp editing.
I loved the movie, but I'm happy that the movie did not spoil the book for me. Also, I realize now why it was so easy to convert this book into a movie; the source material is already so well-written. The book makes you smile, laugh at Watney's sarcastic sense of humor and cry at the climax. But above all, in this age where dystopias are all the rage, it restores your faith in basic humanity; at that primal human instinct to help anyone out in times of distress. I loved Watney's sense of humor, it's what kept him alive. For the record, I also loved Damon's portrayal in the movie, I was tied even between rooting for him and Leo for the Oscar.
The book seems to have reignited my love for these survival adventures like Robinson Crusoe, The Lost World, etc. I'd love to read more by the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment